Over the years, it has been proved by scientific discoveries that Dogs often stand as humans’ best friend. According to some of these scientific research, Dogs can boost well-being and contribute to a healthy living of humans.
Indeed, dogs come with some powerful mental health benefits. Caring for a dog can help to prevent depression, anxiety, and stress.
Some scientific studies have shown that :
- Heart attack patients with pets survive longer than those without
- Playing with a dog can elevate levels of serotonin and dopamine, which calm and relax.
- Pet owners over age 65 make 30 per cent fewer visits to their doctors than those who do not
- Pet owners are less likely to suffer from depression than those without pets.
- People with pets have lower blood pressure in stressful situations than those without pets.
Do any of your loved ones have a dog? Send them birthday ecards
Some important facts about the health benefit of having a dog include the following
1. Dogs Provide companionship
Companionship can help prevent illness and even add years to your life, while isolation and loneliness can trigger symptoms of depression. Caring for a dog can help make you feel needed and wanted, and take the focus away from your problems, especially if you live alone. Most dog owners talk to their pets, some even use them to work through their troubles. And nothing beats loneliness like coming home to a wagging tail.
2. Dogs help to Reduce anxiety
The companionship of a dog can offer comfort, help ease anxiety, and build self-confidence for people anxious about going out into the world. Because pets live in the moment—they don’t worry about what happened yesterday or what might happen tomorrow—they can help you become more mindful and appreciate the joy of the present.
3. Dogs help to boost vitality
One can overcome many of the physical challenges associated with ageing by playing and exercising with dogs, which can help boost your immune system and increase your energy.
4. Dogs give joy and happiness to life
As one begins to age, a lot of things that previously occupied one’s time and gave life purpose may be gradually fading away. This period in time, one needs to be engaged in some productive things. Caring for a pet can bring pleasure and help boost morale, optimism, and sense of self-worth. Choosing to adopt a dog from a shelter, especially an older pet, can add to a sense of fulfilment