The home is primarily seen as an area of comfort and sanctuary from the outside world which is generally believed to be the most cause of accidents. Domestic accidents don’t need to be inside the home to be termed a domestic accident. Domestic accidents are accidents that occur in the home and around home environments.
Domestic accidents are basically one of the four major causes of deaths in the world. The home has a very important role in domestic accidents. Domestic accidents are very likely to occur due to constant activities in homes and its environs at which various home appliances are always involved.
These home implements might seem harmless but if not handled cautiously by taking safety measures, the accident likely to occur might just prove as fatal as any other normal accident. Careless attitudes towards our homes can transform it into a death trap.
The increase in domestic accidents over the years past has become a major cause of concern as home keepers seem to be lesser oriented about keeping a safe home and applying safety measures regularly. Now the general and vital question is, what are the causes of these various domestic accidents and how can it be prevented?
Accidents never should actually happen. They are always caused by errors which are preventable.
The primary causes of major domestic accidents are;
- The Kitchen;
- When individuals are careless with flammable cookers most especially the gas cooker. People are fund of not properly locking these gas outlets after use which causes undetected leakage. Any exposure to the slightest flame from a non-ventilated kitchen would prove unavoidably fatal.
- Electrical Connections; Electrical connections left exposed and unattended to could also be dangerous and once again have a fatal endpoint
- Poor Sanitary Maintenance; Wet floors, general improper sanitation, litter around the house like banana around homes can cause accidents as an individual could slip and fall hitting a hard edge.
- Dangerous Substances; Dangerous substances like disinfectant, fuel washing liquids, left exposed and improperly kept could also be an object of curiosity to children who could end up poisoning themselves by drinking these dangerous substances.
- Small Objects lying around the house and not properly placed could also be a point of attraction to children who interpret every object as a toy and playmate, such objects end up in their mouths as an edible object which could cause them to choke if swallowed.
- Homemakers who are deluded that they can fix every little fault in electrical and mechanical appliances have themselves to blame when electrocuted or witness a dangerous mechanical failure for not following proper safety procedures and having good knowledge of these appliances.
How can these accidents be controlled since these domestic accidents seem to be inevitable?
These simple and basic steps must be followed at all times:
- Family members should be given proper orientation about the basic home safety rules and regulations.
- Control should be enforced on children to guide them on what objects and places in homes are to be seen as a potentially dangerous, which should be avoided and made out of bounds.
- Make sure that exposed electrical wires are promptly attended to by well-trained electricians who are experts in handling such electrical issues.
- They are lots of objects in the kitchen which could prove really dangerous if not handled without caution. Children should always be kept out of the kitchen due to their curiosity about objects and flame.
- Ensure that all electrical and cooking appliances are properly switched off when not in use, also make sure that the kitchen is well ventilated to allow easy flow of air through the kitchen.
- Never use fuel or any flammable liquid to revive a dying fire when burning refuse.
- Expired drugs or drugs which are no longer in use should be properly disposed or kept out of the reach of children.
- Never leave sharp objects lying around the home carelessly. It can cause serious injury to anyone.
Always try to think and act right when at home. There can never be a complete list of all rules to follow to avoid home accidents. Common sense is necessary to prevent domestic accidents. Always be alert.