By Abbey Longe
We Nigerians love our jollof rice and fried rice but have you ever considered doing something radically different from the tried and tested jollof and friend rice dishes?
Why not just create your own rice dish? Well, that is exactly what I have done. I have created a dish I call Rice Kale and Mackerel dish which you can try out if you are not feeling inspired or you are bored with the traditional recipes.
It is quite easy and quick to cook, let me take you on a step-by-step cookery journey that will lead you to cooking your very own delicious Rice, Curly Kale and Mackerel dish.
Here are the steps:
- Cut 1 mackerel fish into 2 pieces
- Clean the inside and season with fish seasoning, paprika, garlic powder, curry, coriander and turmeric
- Grill in the middle part of the oven for 20mins and turn over and grill the other side for about 12mins
- Take it out of the oven and place on a plate
- Boil your choice of rice as normal
- Put about 2 handfuls of curly kale in another pot and about half a cup of water
- Boil on medium heat for about 5mins
- Boil 1 egg for about 15mins in a pot with enough water to half cover it
- Drain the water and leave the egg in the pot with fresh water for about 5mins
- Crack the egg, peel it and leave it on a plate
- Sweet pepper gravy – get 1 red pepper, 1 green, 1 yellow and I red onion
- Thinly dice each one including the onion and mix them together
- Put about 3 tablespoon of sunflower oil in a frying pan, allow it to heat and gently pour in about 2 handful of the pepper mix
- Reduce the heat and add a teaspoon of coriander powder, curry powder, garlic powder, paprika, turmeric and 1 knoor or magic cube.
- Stir for about 5 mins and slice 1 medium tomato into about 6 parts
- Stir for another 2/3 mins
Serve the rice dish – pour enough portion of rice on a place, place the egg by the side, curly kale by the egg, fish in the middle and pour the sweet pepper gravy on top of the fish.