The BlackBerry OS offers users the ability to use shortcuts when using the operating system’s web browser. It is important to take note that these shortcuts are only available to users who own a BlackBerry smartphone with a physical keyboard (eg. BlackBerry Q10).
How to enable BlackBerry browser keyboard shortcuts :
If the BlackBerry smartphone’s web browser keyboard shortcuts option is disabled, the user will be required to turn it on. The steps below explain how to accomplish this.
- Turn on the BlackBerry phone.
- Open the BlackBerry web browser application.
- Hit the Menu key and select Options.
- From the General section of options, mark the ‘Enable Keyboard Shortcuts’ checkbox.
- Hit the Menu key and select ‘Save’.
( Screenshot: General section of BlackBerry options – ‘Enable Keyboard Shortcuts’ checkbox )
The BlackBerry operating system has shortcuts that the user can take advantage of while typing a web address or viewing a web page in the browser.
List of shortcuts that can be used when typing a URL in the address bar :
These shortcuts help the user type a URL faster in the browser’s address bar.
- Space – insert a period in a web address.
- Shift + Space – insert a following slash in a web address.
- Escape – stop loading a web page.
- Press and hold down the Escape key – this action closes the web browser.
List of shortcuts that can be used when viewing a web page :
These shortcuts help the user perform actions faster when viewing a web page in the BlackBerry web browser. All that the user is required to do is press the letter while viewing a web page to perform the action.
- I – zoom in on the current web page.
- O – zoom out of the current web page.
- G – go to the ‘Go Start’ web page (eg. imagine Google Chrome with no set home page).
- H – go to the web browser’s home page.
- K – view bookmarks.
- A – add the web page as a Bookmark.
- Y – view web pages that were recently viewed (Web Browser History).
- R – refresh the current web page.
- F – find text on the web page.
- V – find the next instance of text on the web page.
- W – switch between the web browser’s tabs.
- S – quickly view the BlackBerry Browser Options.
List of shortcuts that help the user navigate through a web page :
These shortcuts help the user navigate through a web page more efficiently.
- Shift + Space (keys) – move up the screen.
- Space – move down the screen.
- T – go to the top of the web page.
- B – go to the bottom of the web page.