– In Borno camp for internally displaced persons, suicide bomber refuses to detonate explosives strapped to her

– She says the sight of seeing people die discouraged her from detonating the explosives

– The teenager also added that she did not want to kill her parents who were present at the Borno camp

A suicide bomber, among the three, recruited to carry out a terrorist attack in Borno on Tuesday, February 2 has disclosed that she did not detonate explosives strapped to her because she did not want to kill her parents.

Recall that about 58 people died with 78 others severely injured during the February 2 attack after two female suicide bombers attacked a refugee camp for the internally displaced persons in Dikwa, Borno state.

The Dikwa camp is the largest camp currently accommodating the internally displaced persons in Borno state. It reportedly has over 53,000 people spreading into five local governments of the state.

The bombers reportedly detonated their explosives in a kitchen right in the camp at about 5.45pm.

Refugees in the camp had reportedly lined up waiting to get breakfast when the incident occurred.

The last bomber who failed to detonate her explosives was arrested afterwards by security operatives in the camp.

An unnamed source from the camp who spoke to Sahara Reporters said the teenager was in tears as she asked people to go away from her given she was strapped with explosives.

According to Sahara Reporters, the suspect said she refused to detonate her explosives as she was scared that many lives would be lost.

She also added that the fear of killing her parents who were also in the camp made her not detonate her explosives.

Mr. Ahmed Satomi of the Borno state government house has confirmed the incident as he addressed newsmen at the state specialist hospital in Maiduguri.

By Haba Naija Contributor

Articles published under this author were written by Haba Naija contributors. Would you like to write for Haba Naija? Please contact us to discuss details.